Wednesday 6 January 2010

To Windsor And Beyond

So on New Year's eve I said I was going to do 2 Blog posts one reviewing last year and one stating some aims for this year. Well the more observant of you will have noticed that I failed to find the motivation for the second of those posts, which is exactly what this one is going to be.

For the last 2 years I've spoken to a few people about doing various cycling events such as London to Brighton or London to Southend and the response and subsequent result has always been the same. Initially everyone is really keen and oh yeah we'll do that sounds great and as the weeks go by an excuse comes from one and then another and we end up not doing it.

I've now decided however that I am fed up of relying on other people and whilst it would be nice to actually do these events with someone I've decided I might as well get on and do it myself, not worrying about whether anyone else is doing it or not.

Initially I planned to do the London Bikeathon (http://bit.ly/5NJZi9) for Leukaemia Research and even managed to convince myself that it was July 27th. That was until Saturday when browsing the Website I noticed it was in fact June 27th which put a rather large spoke in my wheels so to speak. You see the weekend before, Saturday 19th June, I am getting married and we fly off to Spain on a two week Honeymoon on June 20th.

So this left me with a bit of a problem at the first hurdle of my three year plan. you see during that period between Christmas and new year I stumbled upon a website that organises charity bike rides and they offer the chance to do London to Paris for the Geoff Thomas Foundation (http://bit.ly/8AppYY) and so I formulated the following plan:

2010 - London Bikeathon (Leukaemia Research)
2011 - London to Paris (Geoff Thomas Foundation)
2012 - Paris to Geneva (Geoff Thomas Foundation)
2013 - To Be Decided

I had to find an alternative for 2010 and thankfully I remembered the multitude of rides offered by the British Heart Foundation (http://bit.ly/7LeICe) and after looking on their website I have decided to take on the challenge for 2010 of the London to Windsor ride.

The ride itself takes in 37 miles from Richmond to Windsor and should provide me with a good goal for my first phase of training for the London to Paris challenge next year.

So from now on this blog is also going to incorporate my efforts to get fit and work towards these goals. I will be signing up for the ride today so look out for another Blog update in the next 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment